Saturday, 25 April 2015

Scrappy quilt 2

Last year, I taught a class on how to make the scrappy quilt and decided to make another one, this time it was for my parents for Christmas. I used different colours.

It is the same pattern as the previous post and as you can see just how different the quilt looks in different shades.

As this was a gift and a lot bigger, it went to a long arm professional quilter to quilt. I can see all sorts of potential for another style, maybe in dark and light blues with this quilt. It is easy to make and and if you make a whole block one at a time, seems to speed along quite well :) This quilt fits a Queen sized bed, it has more blocks than the previous one.

Scrappy quilt 1

Three years ago I started making a scrappy quilt out of 2 1/2 inch blocks - it was fun and I loved working with the bright colours.

Armed with a few squares - I started



I found I could do 1 or 2 blocks during the evening and they didn't take long.



This is one block - there are many ;)

The white with blue flowers is for the sashing and the blue for the border.

I pre-cut the sashing ready to go


Over the years, you will get to know this doorway as it is the easiest place to display the quilts :)

 
And then, after much difficulty and a little bit of unpicking and a lot of moaning and grumbling I managed to quilt it myself.

I used variegated thread.

Going from corner to corner and ditch stitched along the sashing lines - not a happy time for me doing that - ditch stitching isn't one of my fortes.

..and always one of my favourite sights, seeing the binding rolled read to go :)

And finally the finished quilt :)

Flutterbies in blue

Some of you may remember this post from 2012 -> Flutterbies post tutorial sort of - over time I have learnt to change my way of making the hexagons. Now, I just sew the fabric folds together and not through the cardboard. Way better on my hands and the cardboard/papers last longer :) Also, I can leave the thread in the back of the hexagon and it keeps it tidy and flat.

So an up-date... I finally finished the quilt top.




I chose to edge it with more of the butterfly fabric and the binding will be the same fabric.

It has been fun to make, a few headaches, a lot of unpicking and re-sewing but we got there in the end. A special thanks to Kelly for the Butterfly fabric :)